Revisiting the great state-border-crossing challenge

When I posted this at the beginning of 2020, the pandemic hadn't cut into any travel plans and I hadn't really identified paths to getting to the last bunch of state border crossings I needed. However, after crossing a few more in the last year, being close but not too close to a few others I was missing, and especially talking to more folks interested in this idea, well, the quest has gained some traction.

One of the things that remains both fun and frustrating about this venture is how recently it came into my consciousness. Decades of road tripping led me so close to some of these state borders I'm still missing. If I had any inkling this would be something I'd end up pursuing, at least another half dozen crossings would have been completed. But it's also a reason to go back to some of these areas, which works well with other travel goals. After all, I keep finding more things to do in many states—NPS sites, ballparks, breweries, etc.—so I know I'll be planning road trips in these areas.

Here is how the list looks now: 

AlabamaFlorida
AlabamaGeorgia
AlabamaMississippi  ✅
AlabamaTennessee  ✅
ArizonaCalifornia  🙁
ArizonaColorado  ✅🥾
ArizonaNew Mexico  ✅🥾
ArizonaNevada  ✅
Arizona Utah  ✅🥾
ArkansasLouisiana  ✅
ArkansasMississippi  🙁
ArkansasMissouri  🙁
ArkansasOklahoma  ✅
ArkansasTennessee  ✅
ArkansasTexas  ✅
CaliforniaNevada  ✅🥾
CaliforniaOregon  ✅
ColoradoKansas  🙁
ColoradoNebraska           ✅
ColoradoNew Mexico  ✅🥾
ColoradoOklahoma  ✅
ColoradoUtah  ✅🥾
ColoradoWyoming  ✅
ConnecticutMassachusetts  ✅
ConnecticutNew York  ✅
ConnecticutRhode Island  ✅
DelawareMaryland  ✅
DelawareNew Jersey  ✅
DelawarePennsylvania  ✅
FloridaGeorgia  ✅
GeorgiaNorth Carolina
GeorgiaSouth Carolina  ✅
GeorgiaTennessee  ✅
IdahoMontana  ✅
IdahoNevada
IdahoOregon  ✅
IdahoUtah  ✅
IdahoWashington  ✅
IdahoWyoming  ✅
IllinoisIndiana  ✅
IllinoisIowa  ✅
IllinoisKentucky  ✅
IllinoisMissouri  ✅
IllinoisWisconsin  ✅
IndianaKentucky  ✅
IndianaMichigan  ✅
IndianaOhio  ✅
IowaMinnesota  🙁
IowaMissouri  ✅
IowaNebraska  ✅🥾
IowaSouth Dakota  ✅
IowaWisconsin  ✅
KansasMissouri  ✅
KansasNebraska  ✅
KansasOklahoma  ✅
KentuckyMissouri
KentuckyOhio  ✅🥾
KentuckyTennessee  ✅
KentuckyVirginia
KentuckyWest Virginia  ✅
LouisianaMississippi  ✅
LouisianaTexas  ✅
MaineNew Hampshire  ✅
MarylandPennsylvania  ✅
MarylandVirginia  ✅
MarylandWest Virginia  ✅
MassachusettsNew Hampshire  ✅
Massachusetts New York  ✅🥾
Massachusetts Rhode Island  ✅
Massachusetts Vermont  ✅
Michigan Ohio  ✅
Michigan Wisconsin
Minnesota North Dakota  ✅🥾
Minnesota South Dakota  ✅
Minnesota Wisconsin  ✅
Mississippi Tennessee    ✅
Missouri Nebraska    🙁
Missouri Oklahoma  
Missouri Tennessee  
Montana North Dakota  ✅🥾
Montana South Dakota  
Montana Wyoming  ✅
Nebraska South Dakota  
Nebraska Wyoming  ✅
Nevada Oregon  
Nevada Utah  ✅
New Hampshire Vermont  ✅
New Jersey New York  ✅
New Jersey Pennsylvania  ✅
New Mexico Oklahoma  ✅
New MexicoTexas  ✅
New Mexico Utah  ✅🥾
New York Pennsylvania  ✅
New York Vermont  ✅
North Carolina South Carolina  ✅
North Carolina Tennessee  ✅
North Carolina Virginia  ✅
North Dakota South Dakota  ✅
Ohio Pennsylvania  ✅
Ohio West Virginia  ✅
Oklahoma Texas  ✅
Oregon Washington  ✅
Pennsylvania West Virginia  ✅
South Dakota Wyoming  ✅
Tennessee Virginia  ✅
Utah Wyoming  
Virginia West Virginia  ✅

I added some, but had to subtract one (UT–WY) that upon further consideration I started doubting. I sit at 88 where I have no doubt, and like that I am now within 20 of completing this quest.

About those with those sad faces:

AZ–CA: In 2019, now aware of this state-line crossing idea, I had thoughts of crossing their shared state line twice, once by continuing east past Joshua Tree and then doubling back (foiled by not having the right connecting cable for my phone for the first part of my trip that morning), and a second time by trusting my memory a wee bit too much and continuing too far south from Visalia on my way to Las Vegas. I was sure I had to go past Bakersfield, but when I saw the mileage to LA shrinking, I knew I blundered. Silly me.

AR–MS: In 2015, my AAA map was leading me across this state line on the way from Hot Springs AR to Pearl MS, but my GPS ended up routing me farther south, to cross into MS from LA. Had I checked the GPS route, I would have followed my map, since I had previously been on the I-20 bridge over the Mississippi River and liked the idea of traversing the river on a point north of where I had already crossed it.

AR–MO: In 2008, on a Civil War Battlefield tour in northern AR, I noted how close I was to MO, and Branson in particular. I thought about heading up, but decided to just stay in AR and do the scenic drive I had in mind.

CO–KS: I discuss this in the video shared below. Long story short, when driving down the east side of CO last year, I noted a few places where I could check off this state line. The first was when reaching I-70 in Limon CO. I knew that Goodland KS was 90 minutes away. That town was familiar as I recalled my parents staying there on a road trip they took in the early 90s. But, it seemed too far for checking off a state line, even if I didn't need to venture quite that far into KS. A three-hour round-trip drive just seemed too pointless. Then, as I got farther south and east, the KS border got closer. At one juncture, it was 30 miles away on dirt roads. I passed again, deciding to await a more solid reason to cross it.

MO–NE and IO–MN (and honorable mention for NE–SD, for a much shorter distance): Look at this picture. Look how close I drove along one side of the state line. Coincidentally, these close calls were on the same road trip. A few-minute detour in each case would have satisfied these crossings. Oh well.


With some slightly better recent planning and luck, I should be over 90 already. In fact, had I been aware of this quest when I started road tripping all over the country, I may well be over 100.

Conversely, contemplating the 19 that I am missing, my eyes widen a bit as I look at the map and recall the many MiLB ballparks, NPS sites and so forth previously on my radar that suddenly seem even more appealing than they did before. Yes, once it feels safe to hit the highway, I'm thinking of such road trips as the following: From the Cumberland Gap NHP (KY–VA) to the Gulf Shore NS (AL–FL); from the Homestead NM (MO–NE) to the George Washington Carver NM (AR–MO and AR–OK); from Fossil Butte NM (UT-WY) to the Agate Fossil Beds NM (NE–SD); or from the ballparks of the Rome Braves (AL–GA) and the Pensacola Blue Wahoos (AL–FL and AL–GA); or from the slopes of Norway Ski Mountain (MI–WI) to those of Warner Canon (ID–OR), etc., etc., a path to 100 of these crossings is in rather reasonable view, and would vanquish most of those sad faces above at the same time. 

Final thought on that: I'll probably remain somewhat judicious in pursuing these for no good reason for the next dozen, but once I get over 100 and the finish line is in sight? Well all bets will then be off for how far I'll drive to finish this chase.

The only remaining question becomes which one I will cross with my questing buddy R. Scott Jones. That's right, I'm not the only one committed to this. He posted his list last year too. Of the 20 I'm missing and 12 he's missing, there are six we both need, and we have agreed to cross one of them together. Stay tuned.

For good measure, here's my discussion with Scott on this topic. It really has turned into a fun quest to think and strategize about. 

Comments

  1. Your trip once things are safe to travel again looks great. A trip out west to hit Channel Islands and cross CA-AZ would look even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many road trip ideas...and yeah, that elusive CA-AZ border, which has become my white whale. New football stadiums, presidential libraries, and yes Channel Islands...Sooner than later I hope!

      Delete
  2. This is a really fun topic! I'd never thought about my own list until I read this post. Very tempting to see what my numbers are, ha ha, although they won't be remotely close to yours! I need to do a better job of taking pictures of the "Welcome to" signs whenever I cross into a new state, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud! I suppose crossing Provincial lines is a bit easier, eh? And, yeah, suddenly those "Welcome to" signs look more inviting...

      Delete
    2. Yes, the provincial lines are much easier indeed! I haven't actually driven across too many in my life, mainly because Ontario is so large and because I travel in the U.S. a lot. Thanks for the fun read!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New York counties, and then some

Tipping and ripping the cap