The Lump Under the Carpet

So, I was walking down the steps into my basement. When I landed on the third step down, I felt something push back from under the carpet, at the rear of the tread. There looked to be a small lump under the carpet.

The lump...
Thinking it might be my imagination, I tapped it with my foot and I again felt the lump spring back. My first thought was a mouse, though I couldn't figure out how it might have gotten up here, unless it had just worked its way up through the storage closet that is under those stairs. I then stepped on the lump just a bit more forcefully and then pulled my foot back really, really quickly. That damn lump pushed back three or four times. Ok, I now knew I needed to look under the steps and hope whatever was there didn't jump out and start scratching or biting me. Or call an exterminator...

Yeah, so I opened the closet door, only to find that the tip of one of my springy cross country skis had slid over and become wedged under the carpet of that step. 


The culprit: the tip of one of my XC skis...
Another view of the springy ski tip that fooled me...

 Whew...

Comments

  1. You never know what you might find under the carpet....:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New York counties, and then some

Revisiting the great state-border-crossing challenge

Tipping and ripping the cap