Busch Stadium

So here I am at Busch Stadium. It's been too long since I've been to this city, let alone seen a game here.

Actually, it was 20 years ago this month when I made my last trip to St. Louis: After making a few weekend trips to see various baseball and football games, I made a meandering trip through the Midwest and Plain states, taking in six games in the two sports over eight days. The old Busch Stadium was the first ballgame I saw on that trip. I spent a nice afternoon and evening there then, and look forward to the same this weekend.

That game was on a weekday evening in the old, somewhat forgettable cookie-cutter stadium, the nice views of the Gateway Arch notwithstanding. It's beautiful today, and this ballpark is a vast improvement, with a big weekend crowd (lots of Cubs fans too), and the same great view and presence of the beautiful Arch. The game itself is a rather important one, with playoff implications (my team has won their division already, so I had to travel some 900 miles to see a game with something on the line for the home team).

This will conclude a pretty good season of hitting new ballparks (5). A post on that will certainly follow. Then, the focus will go to football, with that shift occurring, well, tomorrow!

To wrap up, I don't know why, but I've always liked the Cards, so, despite the fact I'm wearing a team-neutral baseball shirt, I'm definitely rooting for the home team.

Back to the game... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My firmly mounted ski map

Bailed out by pins

Travel Goals and Parsing Ballpark Visits