On Tweeting, Facebooking, and blogging

When thinking of how I am using different social networking outlets, I wonder what makes me Tweet, share on Facebook, or write something out in length here.

It struck me, then, that my favorite composer, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-eine-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mit -zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm would have struggled mightily with some of these wonderful sites. I mean, the poor guy wouldn't get more than "Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-ho" into the Tweet box, and would have only four characters to spare before or after his name in the 420-character limit of a Facebook status.

But, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-eine-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mit -zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm could ramble on and on here. Further, there is plenty of room for him and his wife Sarah Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-eine-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mit -zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm and son Karl Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-eine-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mit -zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm to post all they want.

Me? I use Facebook for most of my day-to-day sharing. If something--a random thought, a news item, a picture from the yard or from a day out, a quote or lyric, etc--strikes me as humorous, interesting, or poignant, and I want to share it with my friends, I turn to Facebook. If I feel the urge to write, or if I have something I feel like sharing that is more than a few sentences and especially if the story is aided by a few pictures, I've been turning to blogging. Tweeting? I've been using it more lately--keeping up with different news, sports, and publishing activities, retweeting/responding to tweets of those I follow, and using it to announce postings here--, but I find that I share via the other two more.

For me, all three have their place. Some serve me better as a spectator, others as a contributor.

Now excuse me while I go make a tweet...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New York counties, and then some

Revisiting the great state-border-crossing challenge

Tipping and ripping the cap